Search Public Records in Jackson County, MO. Results May Include: Marriage and Divorce Records, Criminal Records, Birth and Death Records, Probate Documents, Land Records, Arrests, Addresses, Liens and Judgments.
Jackson County is located in the western portion of the state of Missouri. The county was established on December 15, 1826, and named after President Andrew Jackson. The county has two county seats; Independence, the original county seat, and Kansas City, which serves as a second county seat and the center of county government. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a population of approximately 674,158 people, making it the second-most populous county in the state (after St. Louis County). It covers a total area of 616 square miles, of which 12 square miles is water and 604 square miles is land. Jackson County borders the following counties: Clay County to the north; Ray County to the northeast; Lafayette County to the east; Johnson County to the southeast; Cass County to the south; Johnson County, Kansas, to the southwest; and Wyandotte County, Kansas, to the northwest.
The Jackson County Recorder of Deeds Department is considered the public library of publicly-recorded documents. Instead of books, the department’s microfilm and electronic inventories consist of more than 10 million documents dating back to as early as 1826. The Recorder of Deeds Department receives documents from a number of sources, including law firms, government agencies, title companies, lending institutions, and the general public. Almost 90% of documents recorded deal with land related transactions, such as assignments, releases, real estate deeds, mortgages (called Deeds of Trust in Missouri), and liens. The remaining 10% involve different types of transactions such as judgments, powers of attorney, affidavits, agreements, and wills.
The public can access public records by searching the department’s on-line inventory, which consists of recorded documents dating back to the early 1960’s and plats dating back to 1826. All documents that are available online are free of charge for viewing and printing. However, non-digitized documents can only be viewed by doing a microfilm search at the department’s office during office hours. The Jackson County Recorder of Deeds Department is located at 415 E.12th St., Room 104, Kansas City, MO 64106.
Please Share Your Experiences Visiting Or Staying In This Facility